Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Civil War Sheer Summer Wrapper

While this summer has not been as sweat drenchingly hot as usual Illinois summers, it has been hot enough. While I have mostly managed to keep the air conditioner off this year, there have been a few days that I have succumbed to shutting the windows and turning it on for a day or two. I did so, in fact, tonight. Tomorrows heat index is to top one hundred. Thankfully the rest of the week is supposed to be nice and cool!



I have been sewing a lot and just finished this 1860's wrapper. I had so much fun making it. I love the unique detailing on these garments and the way they function. Its just cool.



This one is made in a very sheer cotton plaid in shades of purple and grey. The colors remind me of second mourning. Of course, they are good colors for everyday wear also.



I made it with a drawstring at the waist of the cotton lining. Many wrappers were made with fitted linings, but it is nice to have the extra adjustability with a drawstring lining. This enables you to wear the wrapper with or without a corset and for maternity when expandable clothes are a necessity!



The skirts are gauged and whipstitched to a partial waistband.



And the sleeves are puff sleeves mounted on a short lining with full gathered loose lower sleeves. I think the sleeves are my favorite part!



I made a turned hem on this one instead of using a hem facing.



Its sized to fit a 46"-48" bust and up to a 40" waist. I have listed it for sale on eBay for anyone needing a very lightweight and comfortable dress during these last months of summer:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=191256972407&alt=web

Love,
Sarah

2 comments:

  1. I've been needing to make a wrapper now for awhile. I am inspired now! It is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very lovely! I made a wrapper a long time ago, but it was a horrible fabric. That sheer plaid looks so breezy and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely thoughts!